Thursday, January 30, 2014

Blog #2

1. Each shaggy dog story shared a common language feature. All of the stories featured a pun.  The structure of the stories were similar as well. They all told the entire story and waited until the last line to reveal what pun was being used. 

2.  Readers of these stories would need to have know the phrases or beliefs these puns derive from. The first story's pun comes from the line, "only You can prevent forest fires."  I'm not even sure if the second story derives from a phrase but I do understand the basic meaning of the joke because the panda's definition was exactly what he did. I think the story is saying something along the lines of "I am not afraid" but I'm not exactly sure. I didn't really get this one myself. The fourth story changes "TGIF" to " thank Friday it's god."  Finally the last story is poking fun at the common belief that lawyers are liars. 

3. The Shaggy Dog stories are similar to most jokes or stories because they typically wait until the end to reveal their real punchline or meaning. 

4. The organization of these stories were all similar. They all waited until the end to reveal the pun and/or punchline. They also were all very short and easy to follow and understand as long as you understood what the joke was all about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment